Monday, November 21, 2011

MOOREA SEAL - MY INTERVIEW


After my first interview with the Spanish jewelry designers from ABATABA, today my focus is shifted towards Moorea Seal and her jewelry.

Drastic Plastic: Hello Moorea and welcome to Drastic Plastic. What’s up? 
Moorea Seal: Hey there!
DP: Why jewelry design and why not fashion design? 
MS: I actually was an apparel design major for a brief stint in college, but I didn’t really dig the program at my school so I switched to Illustration, which I loved. I got into designing jewelry at the end of college, just for fun. I decided to test out Etsy just as a hobby but eventually it developed into a career dream. And here I am now!


DP: When did you create your first piece of jewelry? What was it? 
MS: Ooh, that is hard to say. I played with making jewelry when I was little just for fun. And when I first was tinkering with jewelry, trying to create something to start an etsy shop, I had zero dollars I could spend so I just played around with drawing illustrations on shriny-dinks and using them as charms on necklaces. Then I started working with a friend who did wood working, I would design the pieces and he would carve them. Neither of those ideas worked well, and I tried out working with felt and other things. But when I landed on working with stones, leather, and metal, I had found just the right material I was looking for. Now I have taken a few metal smithing classes and I hope to start creating more precious metals pieces in the next year!


DP: Next to jewelry, what’s your day job?
MS: Well...Jewelry is one of my day jobs :) I just juggle it with freelance illustration, graphic design and blog design for Freckled Nest Design. Everyday is different depending on how much work I have in each area! Somedays are split up between everything, other days are devoted just to working on jewelry, or just design work. Jewelry is probably the most time consuming of them all since I'm not just making the jewelry but managing an entire business. Phew!
DP: About your personal style, where do you find inspiration?
MS: I would say that my inspiration comes from my favorite surroundings, a mixture of the textures and warmth of nature and the clean, modern edgy-ness of the city. I live in Seattle, WA and I think my jewelry is very reflective of where I live, a bustling city full of woodsy feeling people.


DP: After a day’s work, what do you do for fun? Hobbies?
MS: My hobbies have become my work! If I had any other job, I’d be designing, making jewelry, and drawing in my spare time :) But in my spare time I like to keep things pretty calm. I love just hanging out and watching movies with my boyfriend. I love rock climbing and game nights with friends. I like low key things really.  
DP: It was lovely having you here Moorea, thank you so much.
MS: Thanks so much for having me! :)


For more info and ideas please visit her blog and her shop, I promise you will love it.

photos by marissa maharaj

---------------------------------
xoxo tereza
---------------------------------

40 comments:

  1. Awesome headpieces and jewelry. Congratulations Sweetie!

    http://thedailyposh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, great interview. How exciting and I love the pieces you featured, especially the headpiece.

    xoDale
    savvyspice.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. looove her designs!
    www.zorannah.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview Tereza - and amazing jewelry :)
    Hope your weekend was lush,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tereza,
    Great interview. The pieces are so beautiful!
    Have a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for featuring Moorea! I think her work is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this jewelry especially that last gorgeous necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Compliments for your interview !!!
    Maybe you’ll have time to visit my blog :)

    Kisses,
    Miriam
    Fashion Crazy Ball and My Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete
  9. its great to come across such talented people from across the globe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so interesting this interview...I didn't know her, now I'm going to take a look at her jewelry ;)!

    kisses,
    http://lensanythingelse.blogspot.com/2011/11/little-versace-for-h-gift.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some fresh air. :) There are lots of blogs about fashion, but solely about accessories there are a few. I'm glad you chose this last one for this interesting interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful interview Tereza, and very inspiring lady!:)
    xoxo
    Jelena (glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com)
    Glam Chameleon Jewelry giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Tereza,love her collection and the interview too.Kisses fom www.stylepicture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the headpiece.. very delicate yet statement. Great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Her jewelry is so amazing! I love the crystal necklace... love.

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE THAT HEADPIECE - nice jewelry - i always admire other jewelry designers - we put in so much time and effort into what we do!

    Great post!
    Emijaa

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting post!
    love the necklace !
    i have a new post! wait for you!
    xoxo
    http://onemoreaddictioninmyworld.blogspot.com/

    http://onemoreaddictioninmyworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love jewelery and good interview! Love it!
    Thannks for your comment on my post, I appreciated it a lot :)
    I hope you'll follow me, beacuse I'm your new follower :))
    Leti!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all of your sweet comments everyone! I'm so glad you like my work :)
    The beautiful photography is by http://www.marissamaharaj.com

    xo Moorea

    ReplyDelete
  20. she has so many great pieces...loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oohh!great post!amazing pictures!!
    kisses=)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! she is indeed amazing! i adore her jewelry!
    you have such a great blog! i'd loved it if we followed each other!
    xxx
    naiad
    http://stateofgracebynaiad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the hearlace... i want it! soooo sooo much! i hope have it for cristhmas :D
    kisses
    http://eldiariodeshyris.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Her jewellery is so pretty! I love it already.

    Fashion Dawgs

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the headpiece and the last necklace--gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this is great! I love her jewelry! :)

    http://flyelephantfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is amazing! Love her jewelry! :)

    http://flyelephantfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice interview...

    love her headpieces

    and her jewelries are lovely and a little edgy... love it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. All the designs look so amazing :) She is so talented

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love her blog. The photos are amazing :)




    Xoxo,

    http://www.sacosha.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your blog and love those pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMWord, that gold chain headpiece is beyond gorgeous! It's everything!!! Definitely checking out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very nice designs and pictures! Great interview, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Moorea is amazing! I love how designs and she is such a sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much, you know I appreciate every message.