Monday, February 6, 2012

MY INTERVIEW - D.MAE CLOTHING


The interview of this month is dedicated to a young designer from a small town near Philadelphia … and her name is Naimah. She is a really funny girl and I hope you will enjoy our talk. 


Drastic Plastic: Hello Naimah and welcome to Drastic Plastic. What’s up? 
Naimah: Hey Tereza, thanks for having me. I'm working on a few sketches for upcoming designs.
DP: D.Mae, the name of your company, I know where it comes from, but please, can you share it with my readers?
N: I named my company after my biggest cheerleader my MomMom Dora Mae Holmes.


DP: You design tees, what was the first design you ever did? And why tees and not tote bags?
N: The first design was in pencil, a cap-sleeved tee, I drew a collage onto ,and wore to a Dashboard Confessional show. I do actually have a few totes listed in the store now. Tees just seemed at first the easier way to go and gives me a greater space to work with. Although I am loving working in canvas, the texture can be a challenge.
DP: Day jobs, we all have one, unfortunately, what’s yours? 
N: I work in medical transportaion during the day, I also write for High Voltage Magazine an online, and sesonal print music magazine that covers live shows, reviews, and concert photography.


DP: Places and people inspired us, tell me about some of yours. 
N: The combination of the two is important to me, I get inspired being around my creative friends no matter where we are. They all have there fingers in something creative: art, ceramics, writing, photography, music, we're a lively bunch. They inspire me to keep doing what I love. I really. Adore the work of Alexander McQueen, Christian Siriano, Betsey Johnson, and Marc Jacobs in terms of design.


DP: I know you have some free time, I know you do, what do you do then? 
N: There's been alot of time spent listening to various Pandora stations ( Steel Train, William Fitsimmons, Robyn, Glee, Ryan Adams, The Fray, Snow Patrol, and The Script) reading Deepak Chopra, and being with family. 
DP: It was so much fun having you here Naimah, thank you so much.
N: Thank you too Tereza. 


For more info and ideas please visit Naimah’s blog and her shop, she is worth it.
by Tereza

22 comments:

  1. Great interview!!! I love her tees!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally nice and talented!
    xoxo Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo it's really cool! I like her designs, what a talented little designer! She should hook up with Marc by Marc Jacobs - could totally design tees for them! Great interview love xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely interview - her tees are so pretty. And I`m glad she now does bags as well)

    >'.'<

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ask so much fort your kind words, please feel free too keep in touch via my site,, and twitter. I'd love to hear from you!
    ~ Naimah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tereza, this was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's so cute! the name of her brand, her feeling about her mum.. and is a good designer!

    great job and great interview

    have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked reading this interview!
    Her designs are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool of you to interview her, she seems like an interesting, well-rounded person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the interview!
    Lovely tees!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, nice shirts!

    xoxo
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, shirts are 5stars :)

    Kisses Alexandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much, you know I appreciate every message.