Tuesday, August 7, 2012

THE DARK SIDE OF VINTAGE


Dear Drastic Plastic readers, it's Barbara from Momographica here. How is your summer going so far? In Italy weather is unbelievably hot during this season and I am seeking refuge in my own little study, with a powerful air conditioner and a glass of ice tea as my new best friends. 
I must make a confession: for a photographer like me, vintage markets are a shangri-la if you are looking for some interesting piece to add to your model's styling or eccentric last minute new entries to the composition.
There is a little truth behind the obscure title of this post: last Sunday I visited a vintage fair in my town which promised to be awesome so I waited so far because I wanted to share with all the Drastic Plastic readers an amazing experience in the reign of antique clothes. But what I thought to be something lovely to share turned out  to be anything but amazing. What a cruel world we live in! Bad, me and my never-ending trust into anything which smells vintage.
When I arrived at the place on late Sunday morning I had been welcomed by a small but ridiculously expensive selection of clothes and accessories, two or three old fashioned cars and a small group of (not vintage) children playing in the gardens of the building. The small selection of stalls mainly displayed pieces that were extravagant enough to come out from the closet of my great-grandma but in the worst condition and most of them costing nearly a fortune. It spoke clearly that vintage was being introduced as a mass of ugly, overpriced pieces that have nothing to do with those you find on magazines or tumblr blogs. You can imagine my disappointment.
When I lived in London I had been lucky enough to be located in Brick Lane and the Sunday vintage markets were absolutely delightful. Since then I got the habit to visit vintage markets whenever is possible. And in London, vintage was something quite unique and wherever you could find a good piece for a good price. In my place this seems an impossible task.
I am curious to know: what is it vintage where you live? Is there any rule to it? What is vintage for you?




37 comments:

  1. great post! when I lived in Slovakia, there wasn't almost anything vintage. no markets or anything .. and when I already found something, it was either too expensive, or in a really bad state. //

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Then I am glad (sort of) to know it happens somewhere else. And it's fascinating to know about other countries fashion trends, thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Really cool post! I lov vintage stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tereza,

    Just landed in your blog. love it!

    I like vintage things too. and feel the same as you,
    it's so ridiculous if we shud pay so much money (expensive) for something vintage. especially the things is really rare and have some historic things maybe :D

    in my country, we had many places who sell vintage things, low and high price. u can choose it. maybe if you someday came to my country, you can come to vintage market :)

    nice to know you, Tereza :)

    Hello from Indonesia!
    Titaz
    www.stylieandfoodie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspirational. Lovely post

    http://aprettylife13.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vintage as many of people here do too.
    I also adore vintage state of mind if you know what I mean.
    In my country(which is in the middle of EUrope) many things are vintage (like Europian Cuba-joking a bit) but for silly price or in many households you can find amazing stuff cos people are hungry for new and too sick of old-so this is a vintage dream country-welcome friends!

    xoxo

    http://okimaliar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I feel with you, living in Italy and such! May I ask where are you from? I apologize for such a personal question! But I'd like to visit such an amazing place one day :)

      Delete
  6. I'm also a fan of a vintage style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so jealous that you lived in London :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aqui no Brasil vintage são aquelas peças antigas, com uma repaginada (se não me engano)... Eu não procuro muito, mas é fácil encontrar em brechós por preços mínimos :)

    Estou seguindo!
    Aguardo sua visita no meu blog *-*
    BeijO
    http://livrosebatons.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great guest post with spectacular photographs, love it!

    You can find a number of vintage markets, etc.... here (in the middle of the States) but so many people are trying to sell it that you need to be careful. I'm sure it's the same everywhere; if a profit can be made some people will do so illicitly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! Vintage to me is anything used and passed down :)

    -Tammy
    http://silksatinlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post! I LOVE the vintage styles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tereza,
    Beautiful pics. The best vintage market that I saw was "Santelmo"s market" at Buenos Aires/Argentina.
    xoxo

    Gosto disto!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, lovely beautiful images!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! i love it so much =) amazing photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love vintage pictures. I think they look instantly cooler than anything modern.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  16. AH! The bike and, and, and then the rotary phones!

    *Swoon.* Girl loves vintage. Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yo viajo en furgoneta como la primera foto.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very chiC* post!!!^^
    i follow you on Bloglovin and on GFC ;)
    can you follow me on both of them too?¿? :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. NIce selection of pics!

    x

    modas-diva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't had the chance to explore vintage markets around here but I hear they're pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wonder what other people consider "vintage" or "thrifting". To me, it's sifting through the piles of junk at Goodwill or the Salvation Army until I find a gem.

    Rachel
    floralprintsandcommonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! i really like the first photo!

    http://mrmrswalsh.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love a proper vintage market, but agree with Barbara if you get the professional vendors, the prices are huge, and the goods mediocre, LOVE these images though :))
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vintage feels so much richer - I would love to find a cool vintage store that offered awe-inspiring pieces!! Cool post!

    xoxo, Elle

    www.thehighfeather.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. i just love vintage these photos are so inspiring :)

    lovely post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love vintage!Vintage to me is something old from my mom's closet or say an old car from the sixties..
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG! I just love it!
    Like really,really love it ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. my summer is great thank you <3 wow i love this post the best and i love all the pitcures and such talent and just stunning.
    Mi_Mi
    x
    mi-miworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much, you know I appreciate every message.